Re: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup changes .gz files

From: Maarten Bezemer
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup changes .gz files
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2011 12:54:00 +0200 (CEST)

On Sun, 17 Jul 2011, Robert Nichols wrote:

All that matters is that
rdiff-backup records a checksum that is consistent with the file it
_did_ back up, and that is always the case.

Given my example above, this may not always be the case. At least for most unix file systems.

You misunderstand me.  All I'm saying is that the recorded checksums are
always consistent with the files that are stored in the mirror and
increments.  That indeed might not match the source files if there were
hidden changes.

Well, maybe you're right and I misread your text. However, even though it is essential to have the internal mirror state in good order, the fact that there appear to be situations in which one would be unable to do a restore of the source to a working and consistent state, bothers me more.

In fact, this makes using rdiff-backup an insufficient way of making backups, which happens to be the primary function of the program :-S

--
Maarten