Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Is there an easy way to discard the most recent

From: Robert Nichols
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Is there an easy way to discard the most recent backup?
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2011 20:03:47 -0500

On 06/08/2011 02:24 PM, Ryan J wrote:

To make a long story short, I accidentally ran rdiff-backup against a
blank directory.  Now my remote system has a blank mirror and the 1D
old increment contains the most recent copy of my data.

I'd like to restore from 1D ago rather than re-uploading my entire
backup set, but I would also like to preserve my increments.  Is there
any way of doing that?

Yes, you can force rdiff-backup to do a regression of the most recent backup
just as it would do automatically if the most recent session had not run to
completion.  Basically, within the rdiff-backup-data metadata directory you
create a second current_mirror.{timestamp}.data file with a timestamp that
matches the mirror_metadata file for the immediately preceding backup.

Dominic Raferd has written a script that will automate that and take care
of various "gotcha"s that can arise.  It's attached to this message in
the mailing list archives:

Here's a direct link to the attached script:

(Watch out for possible word wrap in those links.)

                Do NOT delete it.