Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Linux to Windows file permissions

From: Jarno Veuger
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Linux to Windows file permissions
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2011 12:45:37 +0200

Yes I see it indeed stores the metadata properly. Thanks.

What's the proper way to restore data (and restore permissions etc. too)?
I use these locations to backup: address@hidden::/home d:\backups\srv_test\home

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,
Jarno

Op 27-4-2011 16:18, Robert Nichols schreef:
On 04/27/2011 04:06 AM, Jarno Veuger wrote:
  Hi everyone,

I'm doing my first backup using rdiff-backup from Linux (CentOS5) to
Windows Server 2003 (Pull from Windows). I was wondering, are the Linux
file permissions backupped too? And what happens if I push the files
back, are these permissions automatically restored?

All of the metadata (permissions, ownership, security context, ACLs, ...)
is stored in separate files, so it's not dependent on having those features
in the file system that holds the backup.  Using a "foreign" file system
does mean that you can't use the quick "just copy the file from the mirror"
method of restoring the most recent version, but if you use rdiff-backup
to do the restore everything should come back just the way it was.

--
Niet aanwezig op dinsdagen.
JFD Hosting