[rdiff-backup-users] restore fails

From: Travis
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] restore fails
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2011 13:16:30 -0400

On my system, I have a ram disk (tmpfs) set up for a disk-intensive
program, and I have rdiff-backup set to back up a snapshot from this
ram disk to persistent storage on the hard drive every hour.  Early
this morning, the ram-disk filled up and so my application started
doing all sorts of indeterminable things with the data in the
ram-disk, while the cronjob using rdiff-backup continued to back up
the corrupted data every hour.  I didn't think this would be a
problem, I just unmounted the ram-disk and remounted it with more
space, but now rdiff-backup fails to restore my files, it gives me
loads of errors like this:

Error reading /path/to/archive/server.log, substituting empty file.
Warning: Hash da39a3ee5e6b4b0d3255bfef95601890afd80709 of server.log
doesn't match recorded hash edca93ea92f5ac446256c6a733e9b2d65d8c5f68!
Error reading /path/to/archive/server.log.lck, substituting empty file.

Note that the rdiff-backup archive location has always had plenty of
space, and has never been manipulated with any tool other than

Any ideas about what is going on or how to recover the data?

Thanks much.