Re: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup fails, no gzipped file

From: ~D
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup fails, no gzipped file
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2010 19:54:41 +0100

On 12/07/2010 05:09 PM, Dominic Raferd wrote:
On 07/12/2010 14:42, ~D wrote:
On 12/07/2010 03:26 PM, D. Kriesel wrote:
Do you prevent a shutdown or reboot when rdiff-backup is running? How?

Since rdiff-backup does not like backup interruptions (and therefore is not usable on slow or unreliable connections) I rdiff to a local repository on the server (the server usually doesn't reboot) and rsync the entire repository to the remote destination.

My backup only runs when there is a internet connection. I use my laptop
at home most of the time. I have to find a way to check wether
rdiff-backup is running and to reboot after it shutdown. I can use htop
of course, but I am not sure if rdiff-backup is runnin also local on my
laptop or only on my server.

Maybe there is a more advanced way to do this?
You can test for running rdiff-backup locally thus:

[ -n "`ps -o pid --no-heading -C rdiff-backup`" ] && echo "running" || echo "not running"

and you can query remote server thus:

[ -n "`ssh address@hidden "ps -o pid --no-heading -C rdiff-backup" 2>/dev/null`" ] && echo "running" || echo "not running"

Ah Thanks! So it should be possible to make some script which checks if it's is running, if no, shutdown, if yes, wait 15 minuts and check again etc... right?

~D