[rdiff-backup-users] Re: Can anyone explain this error when running rdif

From: Chris G
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] Re: Can anyone explain this error when running rdiff-backup from cron?
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2010 14:10:26 +0000

On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 02:58:14PM +0100, Andreas Olsson wrote:
> mån 2010-11-22 klockan 13:41 +0000 skrev Chris G:
> > I have an rdiff-backup that runs as a cron job, "crontab -l" shows:-
> >
> >     25 02 * * * /usr/local/bin/rdiff-backup /home/isbd
> > address@hidden::backups/isbd
> >

> > When run from the command line this works fine:-
> >
> >     chris$ /usr/local/bin/rdiff-backup /home/isbd
> >     address@hidden::backups/isbd
> >
> > /usr/local/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/rdiff_backup/SetConnections.py:148:
> >     DeprecationWarning: os.popen2 is deprecated.  Use the subprocess module.
> >       stdin, stdout = os.popen2(remote_cmd)
> >     Warning: Local version 1.2.8 does not match remote version 1.2.5.
> >

> > But when run as a cron job (from my crontab) I get the following errors
> > (mailed to me):-
> >

> > /usr/local/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/rdiff_backup/SetConnections.py:148:
> >     DeprecationWarning: os.popen2 is deprecated.  Use the subprocess module.
> >       stdin, stdout = os.popen2(remote_cmd)
> >     Permission denied, please try again.
> >     Permission denied, please try again.
> >     Permission denied (publickey,password).
> >     Fatal Error: Truncated header string (problem probably originated
> > remotely)
>
> When you are logged in interactively, how do you auth against
> address@hidden A ssh-key perhaps? If so, is the ssh-key
> protected by a passphrase?

Of course!  Thanks.  I used to have passwordless login which used to use
an ssh-key without a passphrase but a while ago I changed to using a
passphrase (the same as my login so I don't have to enter the
passphrase) so of course the cron job doesn't work any more.

Are there any ways to work around this problem so that the cron job can
work but I can still have a passphrase protected ssh-key?

--
Chris Green