[rdiff-backup-users] Exception '[Errno 12] Cannot allocate memory'

From: Jim Faulkner
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] Exception '[Errno 12] Cannot allocate memory'
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2010 13:16:43 -0400 (EDT)

Hi all,

I'm trying to backup two filesystems over SSH from a laptop to my linux server. The first has 4 gigs of data on an ext3 filesystem, the second has 48 gigs of data on an ntfs filesystem, mounted under linux using ntfs-3g.

The first filesystem is backed up successfully, but unfortunately I am getting "[Errno 12] Cannot allocate memory" about halfway through the backup of the second filesystem.

Both the server and the laptop are running rdiff-backup 1.2.8, the server is using python 2.6.5, and the client is using python 2.6.4. The server has 8 GB of RAM, and the laptop has 2 GB of RAM.

Here's the command line I'm using:
rdiff-backup --exclude-other-filesystems --exclude-sockets /home/sarah/Data address@hidden::/nfs/media/backup/bode/rdiff-backup/home-sarah-Data

I've put a log of the backup here:

and here's the same failure when using "--terminal-verbosity 7":

Anyone have any ideas as to what's going wrong here?

thanks for any help,
Jim Faulkner