RE: [rdiff-backup-users] Error "Unable to compare" BUT THEN"Nochanges fo

From: Robinson, Eric
Subject: RE: [rdiff-backup-users] Error "Unable to compare" BUT THEN"Nochanges found. Directory matches." What?
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2010 14:55:57 -0700

> The rdiff-backup comparison should work if you're
> using a recent rdiff-backup on both ends.

You mean the rdiff-backup version? It's 1.2.8 on both servers. But does
it to an in-place comparison? If I understand the man page correctly, it
first copies the data from the dest to the source and then compares it
there?

> If you only care about comparing with the most
> recent backup then you could probably do something like:
> rsync -azv --del --dry-run --exclude=rdiff-backup-data/
> $source/ $backup/

I definitely care about more than just the most recent backup. I need to
be able to restore from prevous days, weeks, and months, which was the
whole point of using rdiff-backup in the first place. But I can
understand using the most recent backup as a benchmark for testing the
backup quality.

> P.S.  In the past I have also done this with
> something like the following:

> find $source -type f -exec md5sum {} \; | sort -k 2 >
> /tmp/source find $dest -type f -exec md5sum {} \; |
> sort -k 2 > /tmp/dest diff /tmp/source /tmp/dest

That could work, too. Thanks for the suggestion.

I'd still rather just use something built into rdiff-backup if possible.

Disclaimer - August 12, 2010
solely for Steven Willoughby,address@hidden If you are not the named addressee
you should not disseminate, distribute, copy or alter this email. Any views or
opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and might not
represent those of Physicians' Managed Care or Physician Select Management.
Warning: Although Physicians' Managed Care or Physician Select Management has
taken reasonable precautions to ensure no viruses are present in this email,
the company cannot accept responsibility for any loss or damage arising from
the use of this email or attachments.