[rdiff-backup-users] Bloat backing up svn-fast-backup

From: Jacob Anawalt
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] Bloat backing up svn-fast-backup
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2010 17:18:11 -0600

Hi,

I have been using rdiff-backup to remote-backup another system. It
works great for most items, but the 3.4G svn-fast-backup hard link
farm gets an additional 25G of data in rdiff-backup-data/increments.

I think what is happening is that the new oldest repo-nnn directory
jumps in size and then the next day it disappears. When it disappears
rdiff-backup stores it in rdiff-backup-data/increments until we exceed
the delete window.

I realize that I'm doing a snapshot/history preserving backup of a
snapshot/history preserving backup of a history preserving revision
control system, but I like my rdiff-backup mirror and would prefer not
to treat a part of the tree specially by either excluding it and then
sneaking the data in using another method or leaving it out of the
mirror altogether.

Shouldn't the reverse diff be able to see that repo-nnn-1 is 98% the
same as repo-nnn when repo-nnn-1 disappears and only store that 2%?

I have considered making sure my svn-fast-backup setup keeps more
snapshots than my window for rdiff-backup deletions, but I wonder,
what is the best way to keep my svn-fast-backup data inside the
rdiff-backup mirror and reduce this bloat?

Thank you,
--
Jacob