Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Stable API and Non-recursive list-at-time

From: Darren Hart
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Stable API and Non-recursive list-at-time
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2010 06:22:02 -0700

On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 2:47 AM, Dominic Raferd <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 22/06/2010 19:28, Darren Hart wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 10:07 AM, Anthony Toole<address@hidden>  wrote:
>>

>>> Hi Darren,
>>>
>>> Are you aware that there is already a rdiff-backup FUSE plugin?
>>>
>>> http://code.google.com/p/archfs/
>>>

>> I had no idea! This is excellent, I'll have a look and see how it
>> does. Thanks for the link - I'm glad I posted early ;-)
>>

> When I last used archfs (at v 0.5.3) it worked fine for small repositories
> (say 100 files) but for large ones (say 5000 files) it was very slow and
> liable to crash the server. Has anyone got any better experience with it?
> It's a really neat concept and if someone could make it faster and reliable,
> it would be great.

That still appears to be the case. I gave it a try on my complete
system backup and it invoked the oom killer it short order. Perhaps
there are some options for the amount of cache to use, etc. But I
think this indicates that it has different goals.  I'm not
particularly interested in the sort of performance gains I'd get from
caching the files, etc. What I'm looking to do is occasionally mount
the backup repository, browse for a single file, and restore it from
some time in the past, then unmount the repo.

I think my approach of building the directory listings from the
Each command has some latency involved, but it should be adequate.

So my original questions stands - what do the rdiff-backup developers
think about the API, is it likely to remain relatively stable? What
about the recursive option I asked about, is such a patch likely to be
accepted?

--
Darren