Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Request feature enhancement

From: Jernej Simončič
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Request feature enhancement
Date: Wed, 12 May 2010 08:44:05 +0200

On Wednesday, May 12, 2010, 8:02:03, Marian 'VooDooMan' Meravy wrote:

> It would be nice enhancement if rdiff-backup would store backed-up data
> in *.zip files, but I personally would prefer *.7z, which is more or
> less industry standard as well. Idea behind this is reduce volume of
> backed-up data.

While it would reduce the disk usage somewhat, it would most likely
increase disk usage while backup is being made, and it would slow down
the backup process by several orders of magnitude (since you'd have to
repack the archive for each changed file, which is both slow and needs
enough temporary space to hold a complete copy of the archive).

--
< Jernej Simončič ><><><><>< http://eternallybored.org/ >

Delay is the deadliest form of denial.
       -- Parkinson's Law of Delay