Re: [Fwd: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Restarting development]

From: Nicolas Jungers
Subject: Re: [Fwd: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Restarting development]
Date: Tue, 06 Apr 2010 18:55:54 +0200

On 04/06/2010 06:35 PM, Josh Nisly wrote:
The more I think about it, the more I think starting another project
isn't an all bad solution - I think we may have increasingly divergent
goals. For myself, having a current mirror is well worth the cost in
disk space; it means that it's much easier to recover from a file
corruption or program bug. OTOH, loosing this requirement opens the door
to other features.

I don't see how relaxing that requirement shall save space, unless you're speaking about compressed baseline backup.

OTOH, I agree that the immediate access to the last copy is a plus (oops recovery), but in the case of delayed recovery - several days or generation - I think it's more an exploration of the metadata that count. And then I'm not convinced that the filesystem is the best interface.

Nicolas