Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Restarting development ... or starting over

From: Daniel Miller
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Restarting development ... or starting over
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2010 16:19:28 -0400

>>> Two questions:
>>>
>>> 1) are you planning to better handle renamed files? That's killin' me.
>>>
>> I have thought about this, and I don't think it would be too hard to
>> implement this using inode tracking. However, it might incur more memory
>> overhead. Input is welcome.
>>
> I'm a former rdiff-backup user who gave up rdiff-backup for several reasons
> that people have mentioned, including the renamed file problem and
> difficultly recovering after the program aborted. I never took my name off
> the mailing list because I wanted to see what would happen. I ended up using
> storeBackup (http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/storebackup), which
> checksums every file to find duplicates or renamed files, and uses hard links
> to avoid storing multiple copies of identical data. When you have files 250GB
> and larger, this is very important.
>
> The list of checksums lets you verify the backup, which turned out to be
> critically important for me. A bad stick of RAM was causing random bit errors
> in the backup, and without that verification, I would have never known (I
> learned my lesson and will be using ECC ram going forward). I'm also working
> up a program to take advantage of the checksum list to help me track down
> duplicate files

This is getting off-topic, but FWIW my "new version" of rdiff-backup keeps a
checksum of every single file it writes (including "meta" files that contain
rdiff-backup specific repository information). This information is kept to
allow fast, full repository verification. I also plan to have rdiff-backup
verify each file during a restore operation so you will know that the restored
data is exactly what was backed up. Well, at least to a very high degree of
probability ... SHA1 hash collisions can happen, but then again ECC RAM is not
perfect either.

~ Daniel