Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Error trying to forget a backed-up file

From: Steve White
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Error trying to forget a backed-up file
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2010 10:50:16 +0100

Hi again,

To follow up on this:

The backup was unfortunately lost, as has always happened before when
these problems occurred.

However with Andreas' help, we got more information as to what happened.

The original problem was triggered by a monster file that was too big to
copy to the backup.  However it was also too big to fit in the temporary
directories -- it isn't clear that this was involved in the original problem
howeever.

I removed the monster file and the corresponding increments files, and
attempted another backup.  It said something about regressing, then said
it was out of space, althogh there was plenty of space on the source
and backup partitions.  By this point, the backup was trashed, I think.

However, we determined that this out-of-space problem was due to
insufficient space in the "tempdir" partitions on both source and
destination (by default, it uses /tmp).  When I rdiff-backup to bigger
partitions, it proceeded; but it proceeded to replace many of the
backed-up files with empty files.

This seems to be a data-losing bug.

Another strange thing is; after deleting the files as described,
rdiff-backup was still looking for them.

* Question: where else does rdiff-backup keep info about backed-up files,
besides the increments files?

Below is part of of the output after pointing to bigger tempdirs.
The monster file was in 'cache-dir', which was deleted.
The "substituting empty file" errors indicate data loss.

Previous backup seems to have failed, regressing destination now.
Error reading /work3/backup/mintaka/opt/jsdk-xx/apache-tomcat-5.5.12/work/Catali
na/localhost/lenya/cocoon-files/cache-dir/cocoon-ehcache-1.data, substituting em
pty file.
Error reading /work3/backup/mintaka/opt/jsdk-xx/apache-tomcat-5.5.12/work/Catali
na/localhost/lenya/cocoon-files/cache-dir/cocoon-ehcache-1.index, substituting e
mpty file.
Error reading /work3/backup/mintaka/opt/jsdk-xx/apache-tomcat-5.5.12/work/Catali
na/localhost/webdav/SESSIONS.ser, substituting empty file.
Error reading /work3/backup/mintaka/opt/jsdk-xx/vomrs-tomcat/apache-tomcat-5.5.1
2/conf/tomcat-users.xml, substituting empty file.

Error reading /work3/backup/mintaka/work4/mnt/logs/vomrs_astrogrid-d.log.1, subs
tituting empty file.
Error reading /work3/backup/mintaka/work4/mnt/logs/vomrs_astrogrid-d.log.2, subs
tituting empty file.
Warning: Could not restore file work4/mnt/work/Catalina/localhost/lenya/cocoon-f
iles/cache-dir/cocoon-ehcache-1.data!

A regular file was indicated by the metadata, but could not be
constructed from existing increments because last increment had type
None.  Instead of the actual file's data, an empty length file will be
created.  This error is probably caused by data loss in the
rdiff-backup destination directory, or a bug in rdiff-backup
Warning: Could not restore file work4/mnt/work/Catalina/localhost/lenya/cocoon-f
iles/cache-dir/cocoon-ehcache-1.index!

A regular file was indicated by the metadata, but could not be
constructed from existing increments because last increment had type
None.  Instead of the actual file's data, an empty length file will be
created.  This error is probably caused by data loss in the
rdiff-backup destination directory, or a bug in rdiff-backup
Warning: Could not restore file work4/mnt/work/Catalina/localhost/lenya/cocoon-f
iles/cache-dir/cocoon-ehcache-2.data!

A regular file was indicated by the metadata, but could not be
constructed from existing increments because last increment had type
None.  Instead of the actual file's data, an empty length file will be
created.  This error is probably caused by data loss in the
rdiff-backup destination directory, or a bug in rdiff-backup
Warning: Could not restore file work4/mnt/work/Catalina/localhost/lenya/cocoon-f
iles/cache-dir/cocoon-ehcache-2.index!

A regular file was indicated by the metadata, but could not be
constructed from existing increments because last increment had type
None.  Instead of the actual file's data, an empty length file will be
created.  This error is probably caused by data loss in the
rdiff-backup destination directory, or a bug in rdiff-backup

Cheers!