[rdiff-backup-users] Re: New feature: --verify-full

From: Daniel Miller
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] Re: New feature: --verify-full
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 16:09:49 -0500

Daniel Miller wrote:

I have implemented a --verify-full option, which verifies all repository data including (most) everything in rdiff-backup-data (notable exclusion: backup.log). In addition to doing a more comprehensive verification, it should be faster than the existing --verify-at-time=<something other than now>.

There are two new options:
--verify-full
--verify-full-since=<time>

The first does a full verify of all data in the repository. The second verifies all data written since the given time. For example:

rdiff-backup --verify-full-since=3D

would verify all data written to the repository in the past three days and all files in the current mirror regardless of when they last changed.

In addition to the new feature, I have also implemented a small script that will create integrity data for an existing repository. The script has some caveats: (a) it does not detect corruption in your current repository, it only creates integrity data for the repository as it exists when you run the script (b) it creates one large integrity data file which means that --verify-full-since with a time on or before the date of that integrity file will verify all files in the repository, even if they were written to the repo before the date given.

I implemented this against CVS HEAD, although I'm may backport it to 1.2.8 because I'm feeling a little uncomfortable using the dev version on a production system. It seems like there have been a lot of changes, some of which do not appear to be finished (unicode support being one). The attached patch was generated by git. Let me know if something different is needed to apply to CVS.

Here's the patch for 1.2.8

~ Daniel