Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Excluding directories for restore

From: Adrian Klaver
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Excluding directories for restore
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2010 08:53:55 -0800

On Monday 08 February 2010 10:57:10 am Dominik Sandjaja wrote:
> Hi,

> > > it really is that simple, thanks! Although I understand the meaning of
> > > ** I am a little confused why that matches and to what exactly it
> > > expands to. But for now I am just happy. :-)
> >
> > '**' is a wild card that includes '/' so by doing '**var/customers/web1'
> >   you are really expanding to /home/backup/var/customers/web1 which is
> > the full path of the directory you wanted to exclude.
>
> yes, I get the wildcard pattern, but why does
>  --exclude /home/backup/var/customers/web1
> not work:
> $> rdiff-backup -r 02-02-2010 \
>    --exclude /home/backup/var/customers/web1 \
>    /home/backup/var/customers server::/var/customers
> Using rdiff-backup version 1.2.8
>
> [...]
>
> Fatal Error: Fatal Error: The file specification
>     '/home/backup/var/customers/web1'
> cannot match any files in the base directory
>     '/var/customers/'
>
> That's why I would be interested in the actual expansion of ** and how
> to write it without wildcards. And yes, it's more out of interest than
> of practical usage now :-)
>
> Thanks
> Dominik

I really need to read more closely. It completely escaped me that you where
doing a restore. The issue is on the server side. The root for the server
is /var/customers so /home/backup/var/customers/web1 will not match. The '**'
wildcard  will create a match with /var/customers/web1 on the server side.

--
Adrian Klaver
address@hidden