Re: [rdiff-backup-users] How do I backup only one file ?

From: Scott Carpenter
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] How do I backup only one file ?
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 2010 08:25:59 -0600

Andreas Olsson spake thusly on 02/09/2010 08:14 AM:
On Tuesday 09 February 2010 10:10:08 peters wrote:
Could someone give me the command line to back up only one file (let's say
 /etc/passwd) ?

rdiff-backup --include=/etc/passwd --exclude='**' /etc/ /destination/path

That is, you do one explicit include, followed by excluding everything else.

// Andreas

Is this a scenario where you have a complete backup set, but once in a while you just want to back up the one file? If so, I don't know if there's a good way to do that. If you run the command Andreas has given (which looks correct!), I think it would blow away all the other files your backup set that don't match.

And using rdiff-backup for only one file seems of limited usefulness.

Scott