Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Broken rdiff-backup on Fedora 11

From: John Jason Jordan
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Broken rdiff-backup on Fedora 11
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2010 14:29:05 -0800

On Wed, 03 Feb 2010 16:53:26 -0500
"R. David Murray" <address@hidden> dijo:

>On Wed, 03 Feb 2010 12:01:23 -0800, John Jason Jordan
><address@hidden> wrote:
>> which I can swap with the DVD drive. On this disk there is a folder
>> "Full_system_backup_Jaunty." I created a new folder
>> "Full_system_backup_Fedora" and then modified the script so it would
>> write to the new folder. Other than changing the destination folder
>> I made no other changes to the script. However, I also modified my
>> rdiff_excludes.txt file by adding "- *.iso" and "- /home/jjj/Azureus
>> Downloads/".
>
>I don't think changing the excludes will have made a difference, but
>you could try deleting them just to check.
>
>From the looks of the traceback you posted, I suspect there's something
>wrong with your destination folder.  Although I don't really understand
>the code in detail, it appears to me as though rdiff-backup is finding
>an empty list of increments, something it apparently isn't prepared
>to handle.
>
>I'm assuming you are getting one traceback for each command in your
>bash file, if that isn't the case let me know :)
>
>I'd advise deleting your backup target directory and reinitializing it.

Nailed it!

I started by deleting the backup folder. When I ran the script I got
the same errors, but it did recreate the folder before failing. The
folder was empty.

Then I decided to delete the additions that I made to the excludes
list. While opening it I noticed that there was a file
rdiff-backup-errors.txt. I opened it up and it referred to two of the
additions that I had made to the excludes list. So I deleted only those
entries in the excludes list, saved it, and ran the script. It is
happily backing up as I write this. Yay!

Now I just need to figure out how to exclude all files that end
with .iso and .ISO. I have a lot of distro ISOs on my computer and it
would be silly to back them up. My excludes list was:

- /sys
- /media
- /mnt
- /tmp
- /proc
- /home/jjj/.gtkrc-1.2-gnome2/.gvfs
- /home/jjj/.gvfs
- /home/jjj/Azureus Downloads
- /var/run/cups/cups.sock
- /var/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.5433
- *.iso
- *.ISO

To get the script to run I had to delete the last two. Apparently my
syntax is faulty, but I can't figure out how to do it. The instructions
in the man page were written for someone smarter than me.

Thanks again for the help!