[rdiff-backup-users] Poor Restoration Performance

From: Dean Cording
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] Poor Restoration Performance
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2010 14:33:28 +1100

I've recently had need to restore my complete system from an rdiff-backup
backup and I was struck by the poor performance it exhibited - Restoring 6GB
of data took over 12 hours.  I'm located in Australia and my backups are
hosted on Amazon Web Services on the east coast of the US (can't get much more
offsite than that!).

Investigations showed that neither the CPUs on either end nor the network link
were the limiting factor.  In fact, I was able to run three simultaneous
restore sessions with no degraded performance before the network link became
saturated.

This suggests that network latency (typically 250ms in my case) is the
determinate factor for the restore performance.  Whilst I don't know much
about the details of the protocol, it might be possible to speed up rdiff-
backup by using larger blocks or windowing.

Dean