Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Safe to mirror backup dir with rsync?

From: Gavin
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Safe to mirror backup dir with rsync?
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2009 09:03:56 +1000

Hi Engel,

Yes rsync would work for this but if you are connecting to a server that
has or can have rdiff-backup on it you may as well run
rdiff-backup to that server and then again for the local copy. All from
the original files.

I rdiff-backup all my home and server boxes to a /backup partition on
one machine.
Then rsync /backup to an encrypted portable hard drive.
I also run with box A keeps box B's backups while box B keeps box A's
backups.

Naturally rsync must complete successfully for the mirror to be a mirror
but rsync can recover from interruptions.
This is why rsync is often used to start an rdiff-backup repository.
Check out backupninja for setting up such backup systems.

Cheers
Gavin