Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Using rdiff-backup for syncing files from a te

From: Brandon Simmons
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Using rdiff-backup for syncing files from a test server to a production server
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2009 12:31:33 -0500

On Fri, Dec 18, 2009 at 11:31 AM, R. David Murray <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Dec 2009 11:12:56 -0500, Brandon Simmons <address@hidden> wrote:
>> I would like to be able to make modifications to server config files
>> on my test server, and then be able to send them to the production
>> server using rdiff-backup. I only want to copy over a few files
>> explicitly, for example when I create a new init script, I would add
>> it to my list of "includes".
>>
>> The trouble I am having is in trying to figure out how to initialize
>> this setup. It seems that if I use '--force' for the initial
>> rdiff-backup, that it clobbers all the files on the production server.
>> I hope it's clear what I'm trying to do, and thanks for any clues.
>
> That sounds like a job for rsync, not rdiff-backup.
>
> --
> R. David Murray                                      www.bitdance.com
> Business Process Automation - Network/Server Management - Routers/Firewalls

I wanted to use rdiff-backup so that I could easily roll back changes
on the production server if the modifications weren't working
correctly. But now that I think about it, I can see how if the
production server is the "backup" copy with the incremental snapshots,
that won't allow me to do that anyway.

Any other ideas on a system that will allow me to roll back changes?

p.s. sorry about the double-post