Re: [rdiff-backup-users] (Newbie question) – no b andwidth efficiency i

From: Jakob Unterwurzacher
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] (Newbie question) – no b andwidth efficiency in local backup mode?
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 23:59:55 +0100

address@hidden schrieb:
> Hey all together out there,
>
> I understand the documentation in a way that rdiff-backup only operates in a
> bandwidth efficient manner if a remote machine is involved. Am I right on
> this one or not?

Yes!

> Why I am asking:
>
> I have a virtual private network (VPN) connecting two networks over the
> internet (office network and home network). Both networks consist of Windows
> XP machines only. I have a shared drive on one of the PCs in the home network
> mapped as a network drive (drive letter x:/) on one of the PCs in the office
> network.
>
> The question is:
>
> Does rdiff-backup works less efficient if I run the program like this:
>
> rdiff-backup d:/some/folder/on/office/network/computer
> x:/the/mapped/network/drive/which/is/actually/remote
>
> Compared to this command line:
>
> rdiff-backup d:/some/folder/on/office/network/computer
> 192.167.xxx.xxx::some/folder/remote
>
> Or does rdiff-backup make no difference?

The difference is that in the second case you have rdiff-backup running
on both ends (also on the remote machine), that's why it can read stuff
from the local disks and make clever decisions about what to transmit
and what not.

So, the first is not efficient, the second is.

> If rdiff-backup does make a difference do I have to install a SSH service? Or
> is SSH only needed if files are backed up from Windows to Linux?

You need a SSH service.

Jakob