Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Verify times increasing

From: Gavin
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Verify times increasing
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 20:21:31 +1000

Daniel Miller wrote:
> Why is the time needed to verify a three-month-old backup not leveling
> off? And is there a way to bring down my verification times but still
> be sure that my backup archives are not becoming corrupt due to
> decaying storage media, etc? Is there some other method of
> verification that I could use, perhaps not even related to rdiff-backup?
>
> ~ Daniel
I do seem to remember a discussion on list using base tools to verify data.
First you could check that everything that is compressed is passing that
tools checks, should be pretty quick.
Second search the archive there might be something.
Thirdly keep a second remote backup (I'm sure you already do),
rdiff-backup is probably more reliable than hard drives.

Sorry I don't have a script ready to go and it may take some wading
through the rdiff-backup docs :-)

Another thought is http://code.google.com/p/archfs/
if you can at least browse the files there is a good chance that the
backup is mostly intact.

Also consider using rdiff-backup via a tool like backupninja and split
the backup into more manageable sized parts or run multiple scripts to
backup smaller parts.

Some ideas
Gavin