[rdiff-backup-users] How to back up /var/log with a different incrementa

From: Daniel Einspanjer
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] How to back up /var/log with a different incremental retention?
Date: Fri, 09 Oct 2009 21:03:46 -0400

Please forgive me if this is called out somewhere, I have tried to read through most of the rdiff-backup docs I could fine (and man there is a lot!).

Specifically, what I'd like to do is solve this problem:

1. I'd like an almost complete backup of my entire server from /
2. I know I have to exclude a few things to prevent bad problems (no /proc, and --exclude-sockets also seemed to be necessary) 3. There are a couple of directories that I don't want at all (some website mirrors I host), so those go into --exclude as well.

Now here is the fun part and my question: I think it would be convenient to have my /var/log directory backed up, but I really don't see the value in recording every incremental change of all those files, so I was hoping to implement the following rule:

4. Copy /var/log, but don't keep more than 1 incremental of it (or none if doing just one is difficult).

I've thought of a couple of ways to do this:
a. exclude the directory from rdiff-backup, and then just rsync that one directory afterward (but would subsequent rdiff-backups delete those files? b. run rdiff-backup twice, once excluding /var/log and once including only it and using the --remove-older-than 1B option c. run rdiff-backup twice, but store the the /var/log in a completely separate target tree (seems safest, but also the most work to maintain and restore from)
d. Some magic bullet I've overlooked

Thoughts or advice?

-Daniel