Re: [rdiff-backup-users] undo backup operation

From: Giorgio
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] undo backup operation
Date: Sat, 4 Jul 2009 13:58:56 +0200

Hi,

Il giorno 04/lug/09, alle ore 02:55, Steven Willoughby ha scritto:

address@hidden wrote:
Hello, I have situation like this: Soruce folder (300 GB, Windows share mounted by cifs)
Backup folder (350 GB, backup + some increments, 500 GB disk quota)
I'm doing "rdiff-backup source backup" and everything is ok but unfortunetly I didn't do protection in my backup script in case of bad mount cifs source folder (source folder is empty after lost connection to the source server). Last night I've lost connection to server, rdiff-backup backed up this folder and now I have backup folder only containing rdiff-backup-data. I can do "rdiff-backup source backup" again but: 1) all files from source will be copied to backup folder (this will take about 1 week :) 2) backup folder will be 300 GB + 350 GB = 750 GB but I only have 500 GB (I don't want to waste disk space on backup server) Is there any way to undo last (or more) backup operation to avoid described problem?

While rdiff-backup is making a backup it creates a new "current_mirror.$timestamp.data" file in the rdiff-backup-data destination directory. Once it's done making the backup, it deletes the old current_mirror file. In other words, while the backup is running there are two current_mirror files.

In order to undo a backup, you'll need to to create a fake current_mirror file with the timestamp of the previous backup and run "rdiff-backup -v6 --check-destination-dir $dest". rdiff-backup will be fooled into thinking the latest backup failed and revert it.

I do not know of a way to regress more than one backup at once, but this method should work multiple times.

This is nice to know, but can't this procedure be added in the program? It sounds pretty easy to implement.

Regards,
Giorgio