Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Various rdiff-backup problems

From: Daniel.Li
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Various rdiff-backup problems
Date: Wed, 03 Jun 2009 22:34:25 +0800

On Wed, 2009-06-03 at 16:16 +0200, David wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 3, 2009 at 4:08 PM, Daniel.Li <address@hidden> wrote:
> > Well, it seems that you have met compatible issues.
> >
> > Anyway, I would like to ask, how about network performance and how
> many
> > resources it will take, like memory/cpu etc.
> >
> > I'm new to rdiff-backup. Hope to hear some experience here. Thanks
> in
> > advance.
> >

> Sorry, but I'm a bit confused by your mail.
> I think you are replying to my mail because of your first line.
>
> But, after that you seem to be asking for rdiff-backup-related info,
> unrelated to my problem (I think). If that's the case, you should
> preferably ask in a new thread, to avoid confusion with my thread.

OK.

Thanks, I'm going to start a new thread about rdiff-backup
performance. :)

> For what it's worth, I'm not too sure about the resource usage myself.
> I haven't benchmarked it, and it will vary depending on your server
> hardware.

I think some kind of test environment and performance result is OK.

> All I know is that it sometimes (recently) seems to have
> serious resource usage issues, where for instance, rsync doesn't have
> any problems.

It seems NOT stable. As we are searching a diff backup program and wanna
use it as an application for customer. If it's NOT stable, well, you
know what I'm thinking,,, :(

> Comparing rdiff-backup to rsync is probably apples to oranges, but I
> can't help but think there must be a way for rdiff-backup to run
> incrementally (instead of requiring large amounts of memory for large
> file lists, for example), and give a better progress display, so users
> can see that it's not frozen and get a better idea of it's progress.
> Similar to what rsync does when you run it with the --progress option.

Humm, I think rsync also has a --write-batch-file/--read-batch-file
function which is quite similar as rdiff-backup.

--
Daniel.Li <address@hidden>
PALFocus (http://palfocus.oicp.net)