Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Various rdiff-backup problems

From: David
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Various rdiff-backup problems
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2009 16:16:51 +0200

On Wed, Jun 3, 2009 at 4:08 PM, Daniel.Li <address@hidden> wrote:
> Well, it seems that you have met compatible issues.
>
> Anyway, I would like to ask, how about network performance and how many
> resources it will take, like memory/cpu etc.
>
> I'm new to rdiff-backup. Hope to hear some experience here. Thanks in
> advance.

Sorry, but I'm a bit confused by your mail.

I think you are replying to my mail because of your first line.

But, after that you seem to be asking for rdiff-backup-related info,
unrelated to my problem (I think). If that's the case, you should
preferably ask in a new thread, to avoid confusion with my thread.

For what it's worth, I'm not too sure about the resource usage myself.
I haven't benchmarked it, and it will vary depending on your server
hardware. All I know is that it sometimes (recently) seems to have
serious resource usage issues, where for instance, rsync doesn't have
any problems.

Comparing rdiff-backup to rsync is probably apples to oranges, but I
can't help but think there must be a way for rdiff-backup to run
incrementally (instead of requiring large amounts of memory for large
file lists, for example), and give a better progress display, so users
can see that it's not frozen and get a better idea of it's progress.
Similar to what rsync does when you run it with the --progress option.

Thanks,

David.