Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Re: Fatal Error: Source is not a directory [Sca

From: Jason Spalding
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Re: Fatal Error: Source is not a directory [Scanned]
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 09:41:23 +0930

I was going to suggest this but it doesn't work for me on my OS X system.
Source diving lead me to the lstat() function in backup_check_dirs, but the
error reported is for the isdir() function directly below it which, for all
intents and purposes, should operate correctly (it's a python call, not
rdiff's). Perhaps something for the dev team to look at later.

In the meantime, a workaround like so should suffice:

cd /home/user/fileToBackup/
rdiff-backup . /backup/directory

Which should solve your problem.

A few notes on looking into it:

The isdir function is documented like so at docs.python.org:

os.path.isdir(path)ΒΆ
    Return True if path is an existing directory. This follows symbolic
links, so both islink() and isdir() can be true for the same path.

However this is for Python version 2.6.2 - my version of OS X is a 2.5
installation and as far as I am aware Apple have no plans to upgrade this in
the foreseeable future. As such the older version of python may be what is
causing the no-follow on the symlink for directory testing. I couldn't find
the return codes for the lstat function (I've never enjoyed python
documentation), nor the 2.5 docs (though I could have googled further) but
it would appear that when lstat() is not following symbolic links, it
returns everything ok - thus falling through to isdir().

The above cd / rdiff combination worked just fine for me though.

Cheers

Jason
(Not an rdiff-backup developer)