[rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup to Amazon EC2 + EBS

From: Matt
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup to Amazon EC2 + EBS
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 15:42:54 +0000

Hi,

I mailed a while back describing my efforts to use Amazon's EC2 service + S3 as a target for rdiff-backup. It didn't work out. The problem seemed to be that the FUSE filesystem for accessing S3 was in a relatively early stage of development and wasn't quite robust enough.

This is just a quick note to say that, with their new EBS (Elastic Block Storage) that attaches to your VM instance and shows up as a raw block device, we're running rdiff-backup to EC2 with absolutely no problems. We can snapshot the EBS volume and create a new, larger volume from it and then grow the (ext3) filesystem to fill it every time we need more space.

On an unrelated note, we recently took advantage of an offer from our ISP, to use their "Managed Backup" service (based on some commercial backup software), free of charge. This lasted for about a week, during which their backup processes repeatedly swamped the IO queue on our machine and brought it grinding to a halt, resulting in angry customers. Shamefaced, we've returned home to rdiff-backup which has been serving us reliably for years. If it ain't broke.. :)

Regards,

Matt