[rdiff-backup-users] cygwin upgrade rdiff-backup to 1.2.8?

From: listserv . traffic
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] cygwin upgrade rdiff-backup to 1.2.8?
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 23:59:49 -0700

The default version of rdiff-backup in cygwin is 1.2.1.

I'd like to use a more current version.

I've downloaded the dev env for cygwin and run the build/make/install
for 1.2.8. (I needed more recent builds of another app, so this
is what started the "need" for a more recent version of rdiff-backup.)

But the problem is I want to simply install the built version
(probably by hand) in end-user installs of cygwin.

I don't think I want to have to compile it each time.

So, I guess my question is this.

What's the easiest (or perhaps best) way to accomplish my task?

1) Simply build from source for each installation.

2) Copy the rdiff-backup and rdiff-backup-statistics files created in
the build. But there's a lot of script files too. So, if I use this
option, what do I have to copy (and where, if you might be so kind -
though I can probably figure that out the hard way.)

Suggestions?

(after thinking it over, I'm wondering if simply building is better, but
hand copying a few files to 1 or 2 directories seems easier than
building it each time I install it. [I'm more likely to forget how to
build it between times, than to forget how to copy the files...])

TIA
-Greg