Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Error When Backing up to samba share on ubuntu

From: Andrew Ferguson
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Error When Backing up to samba share on ubuntu 8.10 via smbfs on Mac OS X
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 11:02:30 -0400

On Mar 20, 2009, at 6:44 PM, Nathan Aschbacher wrote:
I've tried several versions of rdiff-backup (up through 1.3.3) and several versions of Python (up through 2.6.1).  I believe the issues relates to symbolic links based on the error.  It seems to fail when doing its destination capability tests when it fails to delete the temp symlink.  When I go and look at what rdiff-backup creates before dying the file "/Volumes/For_Rent/Desktop/rdiff-backup-data/rdiff-backup.tmp.0/symlinked_file2" is a broken symlink to a file "symlinked_file1" that doesn't exist.

Backups over SSH, using sshfs and MacFUSE, and to the local HD all work fine.  So this seems like a strange interaction between rdiff-backup and Samba.

Whenever I try to perform a backup to the samba share on my fileserver over smbfs from my Macbook I get the following error:

Nathans-MacBook:~ nathan$ rdiff-backup --force -v5 ~/Desktop/ /Volumes/For_Rent/Desktop/

Using rdiff-backup version 1.2.2

Hmm, I know you specified that you tried several versions, but can you paste the output from the latest version?

There were specific changes in 1.2.3 related exactly to the problem you are experiencing. That doesn't mean that the problem will go away, but I think the error should be different.

thanks,
Andrew