Re: [rdiff-backup-users] atomic increment files?

From: Maarten Bezemer
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] atomic increment files?
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 08:52:01 +0100 (CET)

Hi,

Just to fall into a nice discussion...

On Tue, 10 Mar 2009, Andrew Ferguson wrote:

Interesting idea, except that rdiff-backup doesn't make a snapshot every 10 backups, it makes a snapshot every 10 times that a file has changed.

I wasn't aware of that. Given the fact that I do have quite a number of quite big files that change almost daily, this means I'm adding those sizes to the backup size every (about) 11 days? (Contents are generally not easily compressable). Although I understand the reason for not having to go back over tens or hundreds of increments, this idea kind of defeats the purpose. These files are just appended to regularly, but the first (huge) part doesn't change. Also, I can't seem to find any evidence when browsing the rdiff-backup-data/increments tree. Maybe this is a 'feature' for the development tree?

To go back to the initial discussion, I'd like to add that being able to store old increments to a read-only location such as a DVD would be really nice. So that you could in fact still go back to previous states but not need to have all previous states in the rdiff-backup-data tree.

What I mean is doing something like --extract-older-than doing almost exactly what --remove-older-than does, but move the increment files to an external location (maybe even creating a tar of them) instead of deleting them. I think having some fun with an external program and regexps could do this trick as well, but cleaning up an rdiff-backup tree using rdiff-backup sounds like a more clean way to do things.

After extraction of the increment(s), one could tar/zip/... the files to one big file and store it somewhere. For backup runs that have already been completed, the issue of interrupted backups needing to be rolled back is not an issue anymore.

Just my two cents..

Maarten