Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Windows Directory Permissions

From: Oliver Mulatz
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Windows Directory Permissions
Date: Sun, 08 Mar 2009 10:52:20 +0100

Hi Tommy,

> But when it's done backing up the folder is no longer
> accessible to me (Windows won't let me open it). [...]
> I did some digging and it looks like rdiff-backup changes the
> permissions of the folder each time it increments, setting the
> folder to read-only and giving its owner no permissions on it, not
> even read permissions.

I am also using Cygwin and had this problem, too.

Let me guess, you do not have the following two Python extensions installed?

http://pylibacl.sourceforge.net/
http://pyxattr.sourceforge.net/

This is fixed either with installing these or you can (temporarily)
resolve this with a user having administrator-rights in Windows
and executing this from the parent, still accessible directory:

find "$PROBLEMATIC_PATH" -perm u-rw -print -ok chmod u+rwX '{}' \;
## '-ok' asks for confirmation for each file, remove for scripted/cron usage.

Cheers,
Oliver