Re: [rdiff-backup-users] UpdateError does not match

From: Andrew Ferguson
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] UpdateError does not match
Date: Fri, 6 Mar 2009 14:06:58 -0500

On Mar 5, 2009, at 10:12 AM, Keith Sudbury wrote:
I have setup rdiff-backup to run in cron.daily everyday cron is mailing me with about 100 errors similar to the one below:

UpdateError /srv/eda_tools/cadence/virtuoso/latest/tools.lnx86/bin/ 64bit/10.1.3/lmdiag Updated mirror temp file /media/drobo/rdiff- backup/srv/eda_tools/cadence/virtuoso/latest/tools.lnx86/bin/64bit/ 10.1.3/rdiff-backup.tmp.44 does not match source

Rdiff-backup is telling you that the metadata it set on /media/ drobo/.../10.1.3/rdiff-backup.tmp.44 does not match the metadata it read from /srv/eda_tools/.../lmdiag

What version of rdiff-backup are you using? What are the permissions + other attributes of /srv/eda_tools/.../lmdiag ? Are you copying ACLs and extended attributes? (if you don't know, rdiff-backup -v4 can tell you)

I am backing up to a Drobo over NFS, anyone have any ideas why I get these errors daily?

What mount options are you using for /media/drobo ? What is the native filesystem of the Drobo? (ext3? FAT32?)

Frankly, it will be 1) faster and 2) eliminate these errors if you skip using NFS and install rdiff-backup on the Drobo directly. Search the Wiki + the mailing list archives for directions.

Something about your setup is mangling file metadata, and rdiff-backup won't let that fly.

Andrew