[rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup to SOlaris machine

From: Pieter Donche
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup to SOlaris machine
Date: Fri, 6 Mar 2009 11:38:34 +0100 (CET)

I already use rdiff-backup between two FreeBSD machines, with the set-up
described in http://arctic.org/~dean/rdiff-backup/unattended.html
('unattended rdiff-backup HOWTO') where backup is initiated by the
backup-server.

Now I want the same backup-server to initiate an rdiff-backup on a Solaris machine. I installed the same version of rdiff-backup from sources on the Solaris machine in /usr/local/bin/rdiff-backup and /usr/local/bin/rdiff-backup-statistics)

Starting rdiff-backup on the server logs in OK as root on the Solaris machine, but then:
sh: rdiff-backup: not found
Fatal Error: Truncated header string (problem probably originated remotely)

root on Solaris machine is root:x:0:0:Super-User:/:/sbin/sh
When loggin in ssh address@hidden
# echo $PATH
then /usr/local/bin is present ... (I use many scripts in /usr/local/bin
in crontab entries on that machine which are all found)

I have the impression the PATH is somewhere limited to
/usr/sbin:/usr/bin, because when I do
# ln -s /usr/local/bin/rdiff-backup /usr/bin/rdiff-backup
# ln -s /usr/local/bin/rdiff-backup-statistics /usr/bin/rdiff-backup-statistics

it finds rdiff-backup, but gives other errors afterwards:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/rdiff-backup", line 20, in <module>
    import rdiff_backup.Main
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/rdiff_backup/Main.py", line 23, in <module>
    import getopt, sys, re, os, cStringIO, tempfile
ImportError: ld.so.1: python: fatal: libgcc_s.so.1: open failed: No such file or directory
Fatal Error: Truncated header string (problem probably originated remotely)
Couldn't start up the remote connection by executing
etc...

probably because libgcc_s.so.1 is not searched in /usr/local/lib/libgcc_s.so.1 where is exists..

Also,
solarismachine> su
Password:
# echo $PATH
/usr/sbin:/usr/bin

Anyone used rdiff-backup initated from a backup-server to a Solaris
machine and solved this problem ?