Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Re: New user, some simple questions

From: Matthew Flaschen
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Re: New user, some simple questions
Date: Mon, 02 Mar 2009 19:19:35 -0500

Daryl Styrk wrote:
> Where as before 6 7 8 9 10 would have made it over and foo would have
> still existed.
>
>> Is it possible rdiff-backup does not have deletion permission for the
>> destination?
>>
>> Matt Flaschen
>
> Delete permission?  I only know of w r x.  Wouldn't write be the same as
> delete?

Not exactly.  There are various ways to implement delete permission.
You did not mention the filesystem of the external drive, which would
narrow things down (run df -Th|grep "Lacie" when it is mounted).
However, if it's NTFS, there is an explicit delete permission (see
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308419).

Another possibility is that you have content in Downloads that you do
not own, and the sticky bit (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308419) is
set on your backup destination.  Run:

ls -ld /media/Lacie/daryl

and