Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Re: New user, some simple questions

From: Matthew Flaschen
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Re: New user, some simple questions
Date: Mon, 02 Mar 2009 18:06:48 -0500

Daryl Styrk wrote:

>> I currently have a simple script to run
>>
>> rdiff-backup --exclude /home/daryl/Downloads/ /home/daryl/
>> /media/Lacie/daryl_backup
>>
>> However testing --exclude by dropping test.txt in ~/Downloads shows
>> that the directory is still being copied over.  Is this because the
>> first time I ran rdiff to the target I did not include --exclude in my
>> script?
>
> I solved this by removing /Downloads manually from the destination.  Now
> that is does not exist on the target, the script properly --excludes
> /Downloads at the source.

That behavior isn't correct.  If it already exists at the destination,
and is excluded thenceforth, it should be deleted at the destination and
included in a single rdiff (just as if it was deleted at the source).
Is it possible rdiff-backup does not have deletion permission for the
destination?

Matt Flaschen