[rdiff-backup-users] Building librsync on Windows

From: Shawn Willden
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] Building librsync on Windows
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2009 08:58:48 -0700

This isn't really related to rdiff-backup, but I figure there's someone here
who knows the answers, so it's a good place to ask.

I'm working on an open source project (a backup project, actually, though one
that's substantially different from rdiff-backup -- if anyone is interested,
ask) and I'm using librsync to do forward deltas.  I've been doing my
development on Linux and OS X, but it's time to start testing on Windows.

My problem is that I've found it a little bit difficult to build librsync on
Windows, so I'd like to know how you guys do it for your rdiff-backup Windows
binary.  My app is written in Python, which is compiled with MSVC++, so I'm
trying to use the free-as-in-beer version that Microsoft provides to ensure
that my DLL is compatible.  Is that what you use?  Or do you use cygwin?
Which toolchain?  With C code it shouldn't matter, I suppose.

I'd also appreciate any advice you have about packaging Python apps for
Windows.

If this isn't an appropriate discussion topic for this list, I'm happy to take
it off-list with the appropriate person.

Thanks,

        Shawn.