Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Clarification of --restrict-update-only

From: Dominic
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Clarification of --restrict-update-only
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2009 11:08:04 +0000

Chris G wrote:
Stateless except that they need some way of telling their owner that
the backup has failed.  In my small LAN situation the backup server
runs unattended in the garage, my desktop machine runs all the time
and other desktop machine are turned on as required.

I *need* to know if the backups to the machine in the garage have
failed, I'm not disciplined enough to check manually if the machine
is running every day.  Backups can fail if the cable gets
disconnected, if the machine dies/loses power, or if the software
screws up.  A 'push' backup gives me a pretty foolproof way of
checking that does nothing if all is well and sends me a mail message
if it's gone wrong.
Using the pull backup approach, why can't the backup server send you emails if there are problems with the backup?

Or get it to send you a daily email anyway saying what's been happening, and if you don't get it one day, you know something's up.

Or get it to scp a small file each day to your main machine(s) indicating that all is well with backups today, and your main machine(s) can check for this daily and send you an email if the file isn't there or if the file contents indicate that there is a problem?

Dominic