Re: [rdiff-backup-users] 1.2.6: warning about broken support for extende

From: Andrew Ferguson
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] 1.2.6: warning about broken support for extended attributes
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 14:46:39 -0500

On Jan 28, 2009, at 2:28 PM, Andreas Olsson wrote:
When I run rdiff-backup on my Ubuntu 8.04 (hardy) I receive the this warning:

address@hidden:~$ rdiff-backup a/ b/
Warning: Your version of pyxattr (unknown) has broken support for extended attributes on symlinks. If you choose not to upgrade to a more recent version,
you may see many warning messages from listattr().

Warning: Your version of pyxattr (unknown) has broken support for extended attributes on symlinks. If you choose not to upgrade to a more recent version,
you may see many warning messages from listattr().

address@hidden:~$

Seems quite strange considering Hardy provides an updated 0.2.2 of pyxattr. If I'm not mistaken completely that's a version where the support for extended
attributes on symlinks is fixed

http://git.k1024.org/pyxattr.git/?a=blob_plain;f=NEWS;hb=HEAD

Of course, the warning refers to an "unknown" version, so perhaps I guess the
problem might be related to the detection of pyxattr version.

Also, it seems like a quite load warning, especially when ran on source which
doesn't even contains any symlinks.

This warning is not present in Ubuntu 8.10 (Intrepid). That versions of Ubuntu
includes pyxattr 0.4.0.

Andreas,

What's wrong with this warning? If Ubuntu is providing a version of pyxattr without the __version__ symbol, then there's nothing rdiff- backup can do to confirm whether or not correct support is present. You're right that 0.2.2 fixed the support.

It's just an informative message ... probably better to be told it than to be surprised by things. The message is presented to the user long before rdiff-backup can figure out whether there are any xattrs or symlinks on the volume. (It is preparing you for any further warnings that *might* occur.)

As you noted, the latest version of pyxattr is 0.4.

Andrew