[rdiff-backup-users] backup top level directories (shares) as fake hosts

From: sabujp
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] backup top level directories (shares) as fake hosts over NFS
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 23:16:54 -0500

I have access to a large NAS only over NFS to my backup server that I want to
backup using the tar "xfer" method. I want the per host level control (e.g.
schedule) for individual top level directories rather than have a single
schedule for the backup server with multiple shares (top level directories).

If I set multiple fake hosts such as "NAS-home-user1", "NAS-home-user2", each
of which will only back up a single share or top level directory (e.g.
/nfs/nas/home/user1 and /nfs/nas/home/user2, respectively) over NFS using tar,
how can I tell backuppc to not care about the ping times? Or do I need to add
these fake hosts in the local /etc/hosts so that backuppc has something to ping
(e.g. the NAS or the backup server)?