Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Backing up from Linux to Windows?

From: Andrew Ferguson
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Backing up from Linux to Windows?
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 18:51:22 -0500

On Jan 14, 2009, at 6:32 PM, Austin Roberts wrote:
My dad and I are trying to set up an across the internet backup solution using rdiff-backup. I run Linux, he runs Windows. I set up Cygwin so I could run the rdiff-backup server over SSH, but ran into an error where path names were too long (I understand this to be a limitation of Cygwin). Backing up from Windows to Linux seems to work fine, using the distributed rdiff-backup executable.

What version of rdiff-backup did you try? Cygwin or native? There's some code in 1.2.5 to try to continue in the face of 'path too long'- type errors.

Also, if you still have any tracebacks from from your errors, feel free to send them to me or the list.

thanks,
Andrew