[rdiff-backup-users] backup misses files with older date

From: bt101
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] backup misses files with older date
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2009 21:24:30 -0500

I installed rdiff-backup and used it for a few days.  I was eager to see how it
would handle a small change to a large (2G) truecrypt file.  I added a small
file into the truecrypt file and then performed a backup.  To my surprise, the
truecrypt file was completely missed from the backup.  I then looked at the
modify date of the truecrypt file and it was old.  It seems truecrypt will
preserve the modify date (there's a setting to change it if you wish).

Be that as it may, am I to understand that backup programs will completely miss
files that NEED to be backed-up, simply because their dates are old?  Do they
not do a checksum or something?

It occurs to me that I have (many times) downloaded software that is gzipped.
When I unzip the files, they all have old dates.  It would seem that the backup
program would be missing loads of files that really need to be backed-up.

Incidentally, I am also performing a dar backup of the filesystem as well, and
it also missed the backup of this modified file.

Seems like a pretty big hole to me!

Installed on gentoo linux.