Re: [rdiff-backup-users] bug/crash on read-only file in incremental back

From: Josh Nisly
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] bug/crash on read-only file in incremental backup
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2008 23:08:17 -0600

The old executable also relied on an external DLL - MSVCR71.dll, IIRC. It was just that 95% of Windows systems had it installed. When I bundled rdiff-backup as part of a larger application, I was forced to include the dll, as some clients didn't have it installed. The problem here is that the dll is new enough that few systems have it installed.

I fought with this problem for a while on my own application, without realizing that it also applied to rdiff-backup. The problem is made worse by the fact that there are two versions of the dlls in question - one that ship with VS2008 pre-SP1, and another that ship with SP1. VS2008 by default links to the older version of the libraries, but woe be unto you if you try to specify a manifest for the new version of the libraries, while using the older...

JoshN