Re: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup on Ubuntu stopped working, gave Er

From: Bill Harris
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup on Ubuntu stopped working, gave Errno 95
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 17:59:40 -0800

Andrew Ferguson <address@hidden> writes:

> On Dec 19, 2008, at 7:28 PM, Bill Harris wrote:

> Based on your traceback, it looks like your sshfs setup is broken.
> Either sshfs has changed, or your kernel, or the server from which you
> are mounting the fs ...

Andrew,

In trying to be complete, I think I was confusing.  The traceback I gave
came from backing up the local system -- no sshfs involved.  I plug in
my external drive and run three rdiff-backup commands to backup three
different directories:

,----[ script with comments removed ]
| #!/bin/bash
| sudo -b rdiff-backup /etc /media/Ext\
Drive/backups/rdiff-backup-moenchweiler-etc
| sudo -b rdiff-backup /usr/local /media/Ext\
Drive/backups/rdiff-backup-moenchweiler-usr-local
| dpkg --get-selections | grep -v deinstall > ~/.dpkg-query
| rdiff-backup --exclude /home/bill/Documents/one/long/path --exclude
/home/bill/Documents/another/long/path -b /home/bill /media/Ext\
Drive/backups/rdiff-backup-moenchweiler-home-bill
`----

It asks for my password and then gives the traceback I shared.

I also back up another system using this computer and this external
drive.  When I do that, I mount the other computer's drive with sshfs,
and that gives me the same error.  I was mentioning the sshfs mount
simply to say I get the same thing in two different cases, but the
primary case involves only the local mount of that external drive.

> The traceback says that rdiff-backup received "Operation not
> supported" (EOPNOTSUPP) when it tried to do:
>
> mkdir "/media/Ext Drive/backups/rdiff-backup-moenchweiler-etc/rdiff-
> backup-data/rdiff-backup.tmp.0"
>
> if you can do that, as the user which rdiff-backup runs as, then there
> *could* be a bug in rdiff-backup, but based on what you have posted, I
> would say there is definitely a bug in sshfs or your setup. Given that
> it got an error while executing that simple command, I'm sure you
> agree that the problem is related to your sshfs setup. :-)

Well, not quite, since the main problem is on a system where sshfs isn't
used, but I agree that I probably confused the issue a bit. :-)

I tried running that command as me, and it failed:

,----
| $ sudo mkdir /media/Ext\
Drive/backups/rdiff-backup-moenchweiler-etc/rdiff-backup-data/rdiff-backup.tmp.0
| [sudo] password for bill:
| mkdir: cannot create directory `/media/Ext
Drive/backups/rdiff-backup-moenchweiler-etc/rdiff-backup-data/rdiff-backup.tmp.0':
 Operation not supported
`----

Needless to say, it also failed when I ran it as me.

Now I'm perplexed.  Permissions on the external drive seem to be 777 all
the way up to /media/Ext\ Drive.

As best as I can recall, I haven't changed the script (except for
testing purposes, and then I put it back the way it was) in a couple of
months, and it's worked every day or two over that time frame with no
complaints.

Any clues?

> If you cannot determine where the bug is in this setup, I would
> recommend that you *not* use sshfs. Instead, you should install rdiff-
> backup on the destination system, and then run the backup as `rdiff-
> backup /my/files address@hidden::/my/backup`. It is much more reliable,
> you will get better performance due to the rsync algorithm, and rdiff-
> backup will intelligently avoid problematic filesystem issues.

Thanks; I'll try that if I need to.  However, I suspect my inability to
run mkdir on that directory with no sshfs involves means something -- I
just don't yet know what.

Ideas?

Thanks for your quick response.

Bill
- --
Bill Harris                      http://facilitatedsystems.com/weblog/
Facilitated Systems                              Everett, WA 98208 USA
http://facilitatedsystems.com/                  phone: +1 425 337-5541