Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Backup performance

From: Dave Kempe
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Backup performance
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 07:29:54 +1100

Simon Hobson wrote:
Is it normal for the target of a backup to show 100% wait-io during a backup ?

Both systems are guests on a Xen host with a 4core 2.4G processor and plenty of ram (the target currently has over 1G free). rdiff-backup is ver 1.2.1

I dunno about fixing rdiff-backup in this instance - strace will show you what it is doing pretty clearly. However, as for your combination, I found that the network and I/O scheduler in Xen was a single pipeline and contention was terrible. We got terrible performance when we used network block devices with Xen, as the VMs would just sit in waitI/O all the time when accessing the network block devices (we tried AoE, NBD, iSCSI). Also, use dstat in and out of the vm to analyse the throughput. I found that Xen just couldn't measure up when using network block devices as storage (primary storage or additional).
We ended up moving to OpenVZ and haven't looked back.

thanks

dave