[rdiff-backup-users] --exclude option in restore

From: Tyler Aviss
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] --exclude option in restore
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2008 14:47:31 -0400

Hello Everyone,

First of all, I have to say that after using many different backup
methods (regular tarballs, daily "differential" tarballs, rsync) that
rdiff backup kicks some major butt over other solutions. Thanks!

There is one thing that it seems I haven't been able to get working
though, whether due to the feature being unavailable or my doing
something wrong, is excluding/specifying certain directories for
restore.

For example, I'm using this:

/usr/local/bin/rdiff-backup --force -v 5 -r 0D
address@hidden::/storage/backups/server12/files/$(date
+%Y)/$(date +%m)/sitename /tempdir

Works fine to restore a recent backup (and/or overwrite my current data)

However,

/usr/local/bin/rdiff-backup --force -v 5 -r 0D --exclude logs
address@hidden::/storage/backups/server12/files/$(date
+%Y)/$(date +%m)/sitename /tempdir

doesn't seem to work. I haven't figured out way to specific only a
certain sliver of the backup either, for example if I wanted
everything *but* the logs dir restored, or maybe *only* the logs dir
restored.

Any advice?

Thanks in advance,

TJA