Re: [rdiff-backup-users] backing up a directory that already contains an

From: Dave Kempe
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] backing up a directory that already contains an rdiff-backup-data directory
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2008 16:50:20 +1100

Neil Bags wrote:

It looks as if rdiff-backup thinks I want to restore rather than a backup. Has anyone got any ideas on how I can overcome this problem? I could temporarily move the rdiff-backup-data directory before I perform the offsite backup then move it back it after I'm done but that seems hacky.

I do this by keeping my rdiff-backup repos in a container directory:
/storage/machinename/jobname/rdiff-backup-data

then for offsite backups, I backup machinename.
this also allows more jobs per machine (maybe for data and OS etc)

thanks

Dave