[rdiff-backup-users] Probleme with rdiff on smbfs

From: EliW
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] Probleme with rdiff on smbfs
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2008 22:39:23 -0400

Andrew Ferguson wrote:
> On Oct 7, 2008, at 10:12 PM, EliW wrote:
>
> > Just tonight I realized something ... I still have one 'small' issue.
> >
> > Currently, when doing backups, it's escaping all capitals, which is
> > annoying :)
> >

> It's also safer. Your SMB share does not differentiate uppercase from
> lowercase. If you have two files, README and Readme, then one will
> overwrite the other and you *WILL* lose data. That is why rdiff-backup
> escapes uppercase characters on systems which can't distinguish them.

Understood.  But it would be nice, in some cases (say, my Photos directory), if
I was able to just snag a file out of there manually if/when needed, and not
have the 'messed up' filename.

Hence why I'd be happy to have the 'less safe' version ... knowing that I'm
never so silly to use the same name twice with different caps.

BTW, on a related note, it seems like it would be nice, to me, if there was a
3rd option?   A 'smart-override'?

Basically, where the first time it creates/detects/finds a new file, it uses
the appropriate caps.  Then, if it finds another file named the same, but with
different caps, it then escapes that second file.

> > So, I go and make a new backup with a command such as:
> > /usr/bin/rdiff-backup -v5 --override-chars-to-quote ';' /home/svn /
> > mounts/drobo/Backups/quiver.svn
> >

> Use --override-chars-to-quote ''
>
> (don't put anything between the '')

That doesn't help, same issue, same error.   And I had originally included the
';' because you had a post on Backup Central somewhere that I read where you
stated that it was best to include ';'.

But anyway, neither works.   The second run causes that error.