Re: [rdiff-backup-users] IOError: [Errno 9] Bad file descriptor

From: Nejc Škoberne
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] IOError: [Errno 9] Bad file descriptor
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2008 23:33:03 +0200

Hello Andrew,

thanks for your answer.

> This error occurs while rdiff-backup is simply reading the file and
> calculating the SHA1 checksum along the way. Since this is code that has
> been tested in rdiff-backup for years, and I haven't seen any error
> reports like this one before, I'm going to have to say that this is a
> hardware problem. I am going to guess that it is a memory problem, but
> it could be filesystem corruption, or even CPU issue (we recently saw
> one of those on the mailing list).
> It turns out, rdiff-backup exercises your hardware pretty well, much
> more so than a simple cp command. I would suggest running memtest and
> the disk test software from your HDD manufacturer for starters. I know
> Apple and Dell have very good hardware fitness test software, perhaps
> your manufacturer does as well.

I don't think it could be filesystem corruption problem, I fscked all the
partitions and they all seem okay. I also have 2 hard drives in gmirror
(RAID-1) and therefore I think this can not be faulty hard drives either.
I will check memory, though. I it is really difficult to test CPU, since
it is a HP ProLiant server, so it's difficult to try another CPU.

So I'll try these steps:

1. test memory with memtest;
2. take one of the RAID drives out and place it in another computer and
   try to run rdiff-backup on it.

Thanks,
Nejc